That is not in Mama Stacey's budget right now.
Determined to still have spring flowers bedecking my door, I brainstormed. As I brainstormed I walked past the windows of a dollar store and noticed overflowing racks of flowers. A-ha!
I bought $10 worth of artificial flowers and scurried home. I ended up with 3 lengths of green vines, 2 bundles of spring grass with wired butterflies, 3 bundles of purple flowers, and 2 bundles of white flowers.
I needed a wreath-form to make this work, but I was adamant that I did not need to spend anymore money to make my wreath and pulled a light-blue hanger from the closet. I stretched it out, unraveled the hook, and made a large wire ring out of it.
Next, I took all the flower bundles and clipped the individual flowers from the wire base.
Next, I laid all the clipped flowers out around the wreath to get an idea for the pattern I'd need to use.
I filled in the gaps with the rest of my flowers. I only used the flower stems at this point, not the spring grass picks or the greenery vines.
I then began to wrap each stem around the coat hanger ring. I started each stem about two "wraps" after the last one.
As I worked, the wires just sort of naturally fell into an order. It happened quickly. It took me no more than 15 or 20 minutes to fill the ring.
At this point my camera's batteries died and I had to switch to using my phone's camera. LOL That's the bummer with using rechargeable batteries... there never seem to be any juiced up when you need them.
When the wreath was full, I turned to the spring grass sprigs to add a nice accent to my creation. These I did not clip as the base was held together with floral tape instead of molded plastic and wire. I unraveled the tape and each bunch separated into 4 sprigs of "grass" and 3 wired butterflies.
I wanted my wreath to have a fuller look yet and so I turned to three lengths of green vines.
Because these vines were not wired, I taped the start of each one. If you have nice green floral tape, lucky you. Mama Stacey only had masking tape, but it worked just fine.
It filled out beautifully. I tucked a few of the wired butterflies into the wreath and hung it on the door.
My front door is covered, and so I hope it weathers well. I'm not sure how long this would last if it was on a fully exposed door this time of year.
**UPDATE** I have this hanging on my door this year as well, 2014. It is not faded or unraveled at all. I did have to fluff the grass a bit after storage, but that's to be expected.