Thursday, November 3

A Month of Gratitude

Moving into an actual house (A New Year) has granted my inner Martha Stewart full license to tackle my Pinterest wishlist, one project at a time.  There is so much to do... and I'm starting with trendy Thanksgiving stuff.

Something I've wanted forever is a decent dining room to put a huge wooden table in and have sit-down dinners with my family.  This goal has been enthusiastically accomplished. My children took to tablecloths and prayer rather quickly.  They remind me when I forget and have even asked to eat at the table on lazy weekends.  They are just as thrilled with our new home as Papa J and I are.

If you are curious about our mealtime prayer, check out this old blog post on a prayer entitled "Peaceful".

Another great aspect of our new dining room is having blank wall space. I purposely left one wall furniture-free so that we can do holiday art projects on it. I decided to start with a Thankfulness Tree to correspond with Thanksgiving and the general vibe of "we are waaaay too happy" that's in the air around here.

Now, some people are brave enough to paint stuff right on the wall. I am the nittiest nit-pick that ever lived.  I can't commit. And I want that space for other projects, like a Winter Solstice advent project in December.  So, I taped together three sections of my daughter's easel paper. This gave me roughly a 40" x 50" canvas.

Adventure Girl helping out.

I knew I was going to have to get artistic, but I was feeling it, so I searched Pinterest for some ideas on how others had drawn their trees.  I pulled this one up on my phone, from The Mama Birds blog, and started to sketch with a pencil. I wanted a more tree-like look, so I began to add detail and extra twigs and rough out the ends. It took an entire nap of Baby O's to get it sketched, so about an hour.  Naps are legit currency In the House of Mama Stacey.

I upped the contrast.  These are my branches and twigs.

Baby O has a cold right now, his first ever, so he's napping more often.  He worked three in yesterday, and that worked very well for my three-step project.  Haha!  During his midday nap, Adventure Girl and I took up our brushes and painted our tree.  The watercolor look was accomplished by adding a little water to the brown tempera paint so that it was thinner and thicker in some areas.  It gave the tree that varied bark look.

Mama Stacey painting in her p.j.s.

This dried very quickly, but the final step had to wait until after dinner and bathtime.  While Baby O was snoozing again and Adventure Girl was engrossed in My Little Pony, I outlined the tree in black tempera paint (I did not water this down). 

Top: Halfway...
Bottom: All done!

I think it turned out well.  I'm not sure if I can get something this large laminated, but it would save me some time next year if I can.  I still haven't decided if I'd like to add some words at the bottom.  I've even thought of Pagan-ing this project up by painting little Greenman faces on the knots of the tree or adding little symbols among the branches.  We'll see. 

I'm thankful that I can do these projects with my kids.

For the leaves, I found this handy template on the Corwin House blog.  I printed it straight onto construction paper.  I did have to use my handy-dandy rotary paper trimmer to reduce the paper width  from 9" to 8.5", but otherwise my Tru-Ray paper went right through the printer.

You might be able to fit more on each page.

I pre-cut the leaves out and keep them in a small bowl on the dining room table.  So far, everyone writes down something they are thankful for on a leaf before eating.  I am attaching with small bits of rolled masking tape, but if I can get the tree laminated, I imagine sticky tac would rock. 

If you decide to try out a project like this, let me know in the comments section below!


No comments:

Post a Comment