Thursday, March 3

Yink Tails

As part of our Dr. Seuss themed preschool-homeschool unit this week, we cuddled up to the idea of Yinks.  This creature is featured in the book One Fish Two Fish, Red Fish Blue Fish.


We made Pink Ink to drink, but weren't really living the Yink good life until we had a bushy yellow and pink tail to wear.


I had to buy nothing to make this as we are always swimming in felt and fabric scraps.  I LOVE discount scrap bins.  Even ugly fabrics can become the coolest children's projects.

We wanted something quick and easy, so instead of getting "fancy" with a snap or hook-and-loop fasteners (like Velcro) to keep the tail on, I decided to attach it to a simple tie-around belt.


We used:  yellow felt, pink felt, pink embroidery thread

Before I get too far in, I want to tell you that this was a quick and dirty project for us.  I used rough measurements and eyeballed a lot of it.  It took me five minutes to put together.  It is a play toy that, should it break, will not make my heart race.  I am striving to not take everything so seriously lately.  After all, these are projects of laughter and whimsy.
 

To begin, we measured Adventure Girl's waist.  22 inches was the rough number.  Because we were going to tie it, I added 10 inches.  You may add more or less depending.  I eyeballed the width of the belt around 2 inches.  I also needed a length of felt for the tail.  I chose 20 inches off the top of my head.  It worked well for that limp, drag-along-the-ground quality.  Adjust accordingly to your child.

So, to sum up the yellow felt, I cut a 32" x 2" belt and a 20" x 2" tail

For the bushy pink end, I went with a sort of pom-pom design.  I cut six strips off the short end of a pink felt sheet.  I eyeballed the width to the size of my thumb.  The sheet is 9"  I then layered them asterisk style. 


I stuck the needle through the center and stitched an X to hold them together.  Next, I took an end of the tail and tri-folded it for sturdiness (from previous projects we've found that single layers of felt shred/tear easily).  I stitched a second X through all of the layers of felt.


I quick stitched the tail to the center of the belt.


We tied it on and enjoyed!



Happy Seussing!


2 comments:

  1. I love the Yink tail! It is so cute. We do crafts occasionally, but with my work schedule, we don't do them as often as we should. This actually inspires me to do something a little more fun with my little one this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to inspire. I commend the having of fun and the being of silly. Haha! Although Seuss week is over, she's still dragging her Yink tail around the playground. It has been the highlight of our week.

      Delete